Skip to main content

I'd fall in love

Love only comes once in a while. Knocks on your door, and throws you a smile. It takes every breath, leaves every scar, speaks to your soul, and sings to your heart. If I knew then what I know now…I’d fall in love.

“There’s something so special about first loves don’t you think?” she says going through my memory box.

“Yes, they come with a lot of firsts” – I say holding up a collection of snow globes I was once given.

She laughs. “And a lot of t-shirts? You really never wore one of these?”  She asks.

“Nope” I say holding up an oversized t-shirt “Ugh… I was too cool to care”.

“What do you mean?” She looked at me puzzled.

“I was young and very immature. I spent the majority of that relationship fighting love. I didn’t know what I wanted and I certainly didn’t know what I needed. I thought love would tie me down. I thought being on my own meant independence and more happiness.  I thought I had better fashion sense.”

“Well but aren’t all young loves wild and crazy that way?”

“Yes. But I was wrong. If I could go back I’d tell myself that all the games and all the time I spent being dramatic with ultimatums really didn’t get me anywhere. They only blocked me from being with a wonderful man. A man who all he wanted to do was love me.”

“But he wasn’t the one.”

“Maybe, but then again I never gave it a fair chance.”

“What you want me to call him up?”

“Noooo” I say laughing “I mean just think about it for a second. After him, I went through a series of bad dating. Only to fall deeply and madly in love again and get my heart broken. I’m no better off today then I was the day I removed him from my life. I just think how much trouble we would save ourselves if we didn’t fight love, if we just let it happen”

“Oh” she says thinking. “But then you wouldn’t have anything to write about. – she says jokingly, and I laugh.

The truth is that if it hadn’t been for our past we wouldn’t appreciate our future. And if it wasn’t for our present we wouldn’t hold regret of the past. Maybe you aren’t supposed to end up with the first person you fall in love with. Love isn’t really like the movies and things don’t just magically fit. But could you imagine a world where people didn’t fight love. How much heartache would you save yourself if you could only speak to the 18year old version of yourself?

In regards to love what would you tell yourself? Would you make a list of who to date and who to stay away from? A cheat-sheet of relationship advice so you never had to face turmoil?

We waste so much time in playing games, in having pride, in trying to always be the one that comes out on top. And we lose and fail over and over as if it was a game of cards. Happiness is short lived and we discard people and move on thinking that every other time it will be different even though we play the game exactly the same. But did you really get ahead, or where you left behind searching for what was always there?

We use up a lot of chances that we can never get back. Because as much as we’d like to go back and have a stern conversation with ourselves, we can’t. We have to accept the cards we played. We have to live with our success along with our mistakes. We can only take hold of the present and try to map out a better future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love never returns void

Many years ago I wrote a piece on a dear friend of mine. At the time her story unraveled with a heartbreaking ending. But if anything remains true from that story is that she is and will continue to be the eternal optimistic… who always, always believes in love. She paced back and forth, looking at the door and back at her watch every few minutes. She was nervous and her hands were sweating. Finally to catch a breath she sits down and lets out a deep sigh. And she closes her eyes. It’s surreal to her how years ago this was the exact same spot she last saw him. Where he promised he loved her and that love was everlasting. The last place before their story crashed and unraveled. She never thought shed be back here again after the way it ended. Years had passed and life and time had taken their toll on their story. One she thought was signed and sealed, shelved on a book case and had become dusty with time. She got up at the sound of the announcer saying the flight had arrived. She l...

The way we were

I think Barbara Streisand said it best. “Memories may be beautiful and yet what’s too painful to remember we simply choose to forget. So it’s the laughter we will remember, whenever we remember… the way we were” I’m sure that’s the way I’d like my autobiography to be written like. Or anyone else’s. Just the good times. The scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind . But if it were so, then wouldn’t big chunks of our plots be missing, making it impossible to just understand why anyone could ever be just happy? In truth, how can you recognize happiness if you’ve never cringed with sorrow? My life comes in volumes. Some I’d sell to Hollywood, some awfully wretched, but nevertheless never, ever, uneventful. My friend and I have this discussion often. I say that everything happens for a reason. She says “Some things should just never happen, they should be completely avoided.” And sure, I’m a sap for a happy ending. But what is an ending without the tale? Last weekend, whi...

Jimmy Choos, Prada, Manolo Blahinks, Oh and men too!

So there I was surrounded by Jimmy Choo sandals, Prada sling backs, Manolo Blahink satin pumps, and in the middle of a fashion blank. As I walked browsing, the sales clerk asked me "what kind of shoes are you looking for?" "Something special" I said. "Arent we all" she says and then proceeded to laugh hysterically. It is normal to pick up the wrong type of shoes every now and then, so I carefully browsed and I began to think about the analogy between men and shoes. Some shoes are drop dead gorgeous. But you have to pay a high ticket for. Then there are the "all that glitters isn't gold shoes". Those completely stricking stilettos that look absolutely fabulous, but after being worn for no more than an hour begin to cause unnecessary pain. There are the shoes you've worn out; ready to be thrown out, but for some reason or another you cannot part with. The shoes that make you feel secure, that you can step over anything and not fall. The ug...