Skip to main content

The sister hood of the traveling Häagen-Dazs



It is with time that you learn that it’s the friends that listen to you complain when you call at two in the morning, because your thinking about how much you hate him, the friends that are willing to sit through your “memory box” of old letters, gifts, and pictures and cry with you, and the friends that sit through a conversation you’ve had 10 thousand different times before and not complain that matter.

So there we were in the middle of what seemed to be a tradition now. My closest girlfriends and I together, at my house, after one of them had suffered a recent heartbreak.

That’s what we did when one of us was in need of serious wallowing. We surroundeded ourselves by our remedies of heartbreak. Chips, chocolate, pizza, champagne, lemon and pickles. And of course assorted pints of Häagen-Dazs, And we talked and talked till there were no more words to say. Or till the pain was overpowered by laughter or serious heartburn. And then we watched a movie. A good classic movie that reminds us that no matter how bad things are at the present time eventually all twist unravel into happy endings.

Pass the Häagen-Dazs….
Are you sure? You’ve ate a whole pint all ready
So!
Since when are you against wallowing in ice cream
Since it’s the last one – and we all laughed…
True friends unlike love always last forever. Life will bring wonderful memories, desperately tragic moments, and countless broken hearts…But at the end of the day life is worth all those ups and downs when you have friends to share them with or a pint of Häagen-Dazs... take your pick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love never returns void

Many years ago I wrote a piece on a dear friend of mine. At the time her story unraveled with a heartbreaking ending. But if anything remains true from that story is that she is and will continue to be the eternal optimistic… who always, always believes in love. She paced back and forth, looking at the door and back at her watch every few minutes. She was nervous and her hands were sweating. Finally to catch a breath she sits down and lets out a deep sigh. And she closes her eyes. It’s surreal to her how years ago this was the exact same spot she last saw him. Where he promised he loved her and that love was everlasting. The last place before their story crashed and unraveled. She never thought shed be back here again after the way it ended. Years had passed and life and time had taken their toll on their story. One she thought was signed and sealed, shelved on a book case and had become dusty with time. She got up at the sound of the announcer saying the flight had arrived. She l...

The way we were

I think Barbara Streisand said it best. “Memories may be beautiful and yet what’s too painful to remember we simply choose to forget. So it’s the laughter we will remember, whenever we remember… the way we were” I’m sure that’s the way I’d like my autobiography to be written like. Or anyone else’s. Just the good times. The scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind . But if it were so, then wouldn’t big chunks of our plots be missing, making it impossible to just understand why anyone could ever be just happy? In truth, how can you recognize happiness if you’ve never cringed with sorrow? My life comes in volumes. Some I’d sell to Hollywood, some awfully wretched, but nevertheless never, ever, uneventful. My friend and I have this discussion often. I say that everything happens for a reason. She says “Some things should just never happen, they should be completely avoided.” And sure, I’m a sap for a happy ending. But what is an ending without the tale? Last weekend, whi...

Jimmy Choos, Prada, Manolo Blahinks, Oh and men too!

So there I was surrounded by Jimmy Choo sandals, Prada sling backs, Manolo Blahink satin pumps, and in the middle of a fashion blank. As I walked browsing, the sales clerk asked me "what kind of shoes are you looking for?" "Something special" I said. "Arent we all" she says and then proceeded to laugh hysterically. It is normal to pick up the wrong type of shoes every now and then, so I carefully browsed and I began to think about the analogy between men and shoes. Some shoes are drop dead gorgeous. But you have to pay a high ticket for. Then there are the "all that glitters isn't gold shoes". Those completely stricking stilettos that look absolutely fabulous, but after being worn for no more than an hour begin to cause unnecessary pain. There are the shoes you've worn out; ready to be thrown out, but for some reason or another you cannot part with. The shoes that make you feel secure, that you can step over anything and not fall. The ug...