Skip to main content

Let it hurt

7:01 in the evening. It’d been one of those days. Those terrible days where it seems like the whole worlds against you and you’re only holding on by a thread. My body ached from head to toe. My mind numb from all the inflicting thoughts that lay in it. My head throbbed as my pounding heart beat unnaturally.


I came home to find the house completely still and empty. I looked into the kitchen, a plate labeled “Dinner” Had been left out on the countertop. And a “PS” added “wash the dish afterwards.” As if I needed reminding. But I wasn’t hungry. So I grabbed the dish and put it in the fridge. Pulled out a bottle of red wine. The one we’d got from the vineyard months ago. After pouring myself a glass, I went into the bathroom. I took out every candle we owned and light them up. I went into the hall and put on an old record. Mile Davis. The melody soothing and calming.

I turned on the hot water. And poured a whole bottle of bath bubbles. I got undressed. And I stepped into the bath. I needed this. I said to myself. I slid slowly down into the water till I was completely underwater. That’s what I wanted to do most of all. That’s what I really needed, to disappear. Deep down into the water till every last bubble of oxygen was gone. Maybe then I’d forget.

All I’d ever wanted was to forget. But even when I thought I had, pieces kept emerging. Like bits of wood floating up to the surface that only hint at the shipwreck below.

And a shipwreck I was. There on a Monday night while the world kept on turning, I submerged my aching body into the deep end of the water. Hoping to stop the pieces that kept emerging from making a whole.

I came up from the water covered in tears. And it hurt. I didn’t mean to fall apart; I didn’t mean to start sobbing, or for my rackety body to tremble from head to toe. But the truth is that, sometimes, the things that we don’t want to happen are exactly the things that we NEED most to take place. And more than a fake smile, a numb spirit, I needed to unravel. Putting off the pain only works for so long. Eventually you’ll walk right into a mirror that will stop you dead on your tracks and make realize you are aching. And the only way around it is to let healing do its work and let it hurt.

We falsely correlate tears with weakness. Admittance of being inflicted is casted as being over emotional. We’d rather mask the surface; put another board over the cracked bottom of our boats, than declare a shipwreck. And we fool ourselves into believing that it works. Until the water seeps in from tiny little cracks you never even noticed where there. Till you’re sinking once more.

Allowing yourself to heal properly is as vital as having a floating device, or a life boat on board. It’s the only thing that will bring you back to shore. That’s not to say that it’s easy or in any way graceful, but it’s necessary. It’s an imperative part of the process.

Its 7:59 in the evening now, the sun has set, and the candles are burning low. Miles Davis is playing on the old record player in the hall. And for the first time in days I am serene. I am at peace. I am at shore.

Comments

Pia Robles said…
Beautiful darling...love u

Popular posts from this blog

Love never returns void

Many years ago I wrote a piece on a dear friend of mine. At the time her story unraveled with a heartbreaking ending. But if anything remains true from that story is that she is and will continue to be the eternal optimistic… who always, always believes in love. She paced back and forth, looking at the door and back at her watch every few minutes. She was nervous and her hands were sweating. Finally to catch a breath she sits down and lets out a deep sigh. And she closes her eyes. It’s surreal to her how years ago this was the exact same spot she last saw him. Where he promised he loved her and that love was everlasting. The last place before their story crashed and unraveled. She never thought shed be back here again after the way it ended. Years had passed and life and time had taken their toll on their story. One she thought was signed and sealed, shelved on a book case and had become dusty with time. She got up at the sound of the announcer saying the flight had arrived. She l...

The way we were

I think Barbara Streisand said it best. “Memories may be beautiful and yet what’s too painful to remember we simply choose to forget. So it’s the laughter we will remember, whenever we remember… the way we were” I’m sure that’s the way I’d like my autobiography to be written like. Or anyone else’s. Just the good times. The scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind . But if it were so, then wouldn’t big chunks of our plots be missing, making it impossible to just understand why anyone could ever be just happy? In truth, how can you recognize happiness if you’ve never cringed with sorrow? My life comes in volumes. Some I’d sell to Hollywood, some awfully wretched, but nevertheless never, ever, uneventful. My friend and I have this discussion often. I say that everything happens for a reason. She says “Some things should just never happen, they should be completely avoided.” And sure, I’m a sap for a happy ending. But what is an ending without the tale? Last weekend, whi...

Jimmy Choos, Prada, Manolo Blahinks, Oh and men too!

So there I was surrounded by Jimmy Choo sandals, Prada sling backs, Manolo Blahink satin pumps, and in the middle of a fashion blank. As I walked browsing, the sales clerk asked me "what kind of shoes are you looking for?" "Something special" I said. "Arent we all" she says and then proceeded to laugh hysterically. It is normal to pick up the wrong type of shoes every now and then, so I carefully browsed and I began to think about the analogy between men and shoes. Some shoes are drop dead gorgeous. But you have to pay a high ticket for. Then there are the "all that glitters isn't gold shoes". Those completely stricking stilettos that look absolutely fabulous, but after being worn for no more than an hour begin to cause unnecessary pain. There are the shoes you've worn out; ready to be thrown out, but for some reason or another you cannot part with. The shoes that make you feel secure, that you can step over anything and not fall. The ug...