Skip to main content

The eternal hopeful...

I sat there listening to my friend complain about the girl he was involved with. Her lack of commitment has him a bit confused and bit worn out. And I may not know what to do when it comes to love. But I know what not to do. So as I sat there telling him time after time exactly what it was that he needed to stop doing, his hopeful heart would make up excuses for why she acted the way she acted. A part of me hurt for him, another part wanted to shake him. But when the heart it that much involved rational thinking is like trying to explain to a teacher why your dog ate your homework. Completely useless.
So it got me thinking --- Why is it that no matter how bad it really is something within us makes up theories of why it’s not going our way?


He didn’t call all week
“He was really busy, you know, work, the mtgs, service. It’s a lot”
She can’t commit
“She has a lot going on she must have problems. And I shouldn’t pressure her. I need to be more patient”


I don’t believe love should be a battle at all or a constant wish lost among the stars hoping that tomorrow will be different. But then again love is so powerful that rational thinking sometimes simply does not exist.
Is it that when we are born something or someone drills into us that love after all conquers everything? Or the effect of so many “happily ever afters” in movies that makes us believe Still that we too can find our happy ending…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love never returns void

Many years ago I wrote a piece on a dear friend of mine. At the time her story unraveled with a heartbreaking ending. But if anything remains true from that story is that she is and will continue to be the eternal optimistic… who always, always believes in love. She paced back and forth, looking at the door and back at her watch every few minutes. She was nervous and her hands were sweating. Finally to catch a breath she sits down and lets out a deep sigh. And she closes her eyes. It’s surreal to her how years ago this was the exact same spot she last saw him. Where he promised he loved her and that love was everlasting. The last place before their story crashed and unraveled. She never thought shed be back here again after the way it ended. Years had passed and life and time had taken their toll on their story. One she thought was signed and sealed, shelved on a book case and had become dusty with time. She got up at the sound of the announcer saying the flight had arrived. She l...

The way we were

I think Barbara Streisand said it best. “Memories may be beautiful and yet what’s too painful to remember we simply choose to forget. So it’s the laughter we will remember, whenever we remember… the way we were” I’m sure that’s the way I’d like my autobiography to be written like. Or anyone else’s. Just the good times. The scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind . But if it were so, then wouldn’t big chunks of our plots be missing, making it impossible to just understand why anyone could ever be just happy? In truth, how can you recognize happiness if you’ve never cringed with sorrow? My life comes in volumes. Some I’d sell to Hollywood, some awfully wretched, but nevertheless never, ever, uneventful. My friend and I have this discussion often. I say that everything happens for a reason. She says “Some things should just never happen, they should be completely avoided.” And sure, I’m a sap for a happy ending. But what is an ending without the tale? Last weekend, whi...

Jimmy Choos, Prada, Manolo Blahinks, Oh and men too!

So there I was surrounded by Jimmy Choo sandals, Prada sling backs, Manolo Blahink satin pumps, and in the middle of a fashion blank. As I walked browsing, the sales clerk asked me "what kind of shoes are you looking for?" "Something special" I said. "Arent we all" she says and then proceeded to laugh hysterically. It is normal to pick up the wrong type of shoes every now and then, so I carefully browsed and I began to think about the analogy between men and shoes. Some shoes are drop dead gorgeous. But you have to pay a high ticket for. Then there are the "all that glitters isn't gold shoes". Those completely stricking stilettos that look absolutely fabulous, but after being worn for no more than an hour begin to cause unnecessary pain. There are the shoes you've worn out; ready to be thrown out, but for some reason or another you cannot part with. The shoes that make you feel secure, that you can step over anything and not fall. The ug...